Green Business Competition 2020 – deadline extended!
to April 14th, 2020
Background and value proposition
Green Business Competition aims to stimulate and encourage innovation for green business ideas at the local level and explores the role of philanthropy in engaging local communities to generate green business ideas that utilize local resources and revitalize disappearing traditional production chains and community-based markets. By supporting innovative, local sustainable economic development initiatives, Green Business Competition aims to substantively contribute to building a peaceful, competitive, and prosperous Western Balkans and Greece region.
The program is providing financial support and targeted assistance to selected ideas and businesses that are providing innovative solutions and contribute to the achievement of the following seven (7) Sustainable Development Goals in the region of Western Balkans and Greece:
- SDG 2 Food Security and Sustainable Agriculture
- SDG 7 Clean Energy
- SDG 8 Decent Work and Economic Growth
- SDG 11 Sustainable Cities
- SDG 12 Sustainable Consumption and Production (circular economy)
- SDG 13 Climate Change
- SDG 15 Life on Land
The Green Business Competition works on the principles of environmental responsibility, ethical conduct, diversity, inclusion, and empowerment, not dependency for the purpose of promoting the well-being of local communities, by boosting entrepreneurship and enabling people to understand and take control of their full potential.
The Main Purpose/Focus:
The aim of the Green Business Competition is to support business initiatives that promote social inclusion, through integration and employment, and local economic development through environmentally friendly ideas.
Any fund requested under this call falls between the following lots:
LOT 1: Business Ideas at Conceptual Stage
This lot refers to business proposals that are in a conceptual/ embryonic phase. The fund will support business proposals for a period no longer that one year and with a maximum of funding no more than 500,000 ALL.
LOT 2: Businesses in Pre-Seed Stage
This lot refers to business proposals that are already in the market, in the early stages of development, but existing no more than 3 years. The fund will support business proposals for a period no longer that one year with a maximum of funding no more than 800,000 ALL.
Who can apply:
The competition is open to:
1. Individuals. In case the business proposal is selected for funding it would be required to register that as a legal entity before the funding agreement is signed and funds are released. The legal form chosen is up to the individual and it should be foreseen in the business proposals. Individuals are not eligible to apply in LOT 2.
2. Social Enterprises with a maximum positive balance of 1,200,000 ALL
3. Small business ventures with a maximum annual profit of 1,200,000 ALL
4. Non-profit organizations with a maximum positive balance of 1,200,000 ALL
Application Criteria for Business Ideas at Conceptual Stage:
- The idea is in the conceptual phase;
- the products or services are not yet present in the market;
- The idea relies primarily upon local resources, including by employing local people and utilizing traditional skills;
- The idea has a vision or action plan for environmental sustainability;
- The idea has a plan for economic viability and/or incremental growth;
- The idea has an innovative approach and valuable social impact;
- The idea has assessed the local market and is aware of its competitors and comparative advantages;
- The idea is innovative and unique compared to other businesses and initiatives in the community;
- The idea is having a focus or contributes to one of the listed SDGs 2, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13 and 15.
Application Criteria for Businesses in Pre – Seed Phase:
- The business is still in the early stages of development, existing no more than three years;
- The business relies primarily upon local resources, including by employing local people and utilizing traditional skills;
- The business has a vision or action plan for environmental sustainability;
- The business has a plan for economic viability and/or incremental growth;
- The business has an innovative approach and valuable social impact;
- The business has assessed the local market and is aware of its competitors and comparative advantages;
- The business is innovative and unique compared to other businesses and initiatives in the community;
- The business is having a focus or contributes to one of the listed SDGs 2, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13 and 15.
The required documents:
1. Application form
2. Financial form
3. Business Model Canvas
4. A document certifying the legal status of the applicant entity (this does not apply for individuals)
5. Financial statements of the last year (this does not apply for individuals)
The selection process will be conducted by a jury of experts from the economic, environmental, business and academic fields.
The evaluation process will be conducted in two phases:
- The first phase will consist of the selection of business proposals that fulfill the application criteria along with the required documents. The selection of shortlisted candidates will be made by Partners Albania.
- The second phase will consist of an open competition of the shortlisted candidates. Five business proposals will be awarded through a selection made by an independent Jury of experts. Three business proposals will be awarded in LOT 1, and two business proposals will be awarded in LOT 2.
- The top three out of five business proposals awarded at the national level will go to the regional competition. The three winners going to the regional competition will be two from LOT 1 and one from LOT 2. They will compete at the regional competition for an additional fund of 5,000 $ for LOT 1 and 10,000 $ for LOT 2.
Assistance to applicants:
Partners Albania in cooperation with Grant Thorton Albania will organize a two – day training program on the Design of the Canvas Business Plan and Marketing and Promotion, to support individuals and entities who will express an interest in applying at Green Business Ideas Competition. The attendees that will express an interest to participate in the training program are strongly required to have a business proposal for the competition.
Training on Drafting a Canvas Business Plan will be organized on March 19, 2020!
Training on Marketing and Promotion will be organized on March 20, 2020!
Individuals and entities may express their interest in attending these trainings no later than March 17, 2020, at email@example.com!
To assist all interested applicants, Partners Albania will organize orientation sessions about the procedures and the application process, as follows:
- One LIVE info-session on Partners Albania Facebook page will be organized on March 12, 2020, 10:00.
- Following, two other Questions / Answers sessions will be organized on Partners Albania Facebook page on March 18th and March 24th, at 11:00. The sessions will be recorded so all interested applicants can refer to them at any time.
Partners Albania will issue a second announcement about the date of the competition.The deadline for sending applications is April 14, 2020!
The application can be submitted electronically at: firstname.lastname@example.org or hard copy/post at: Partners Albania for Change and Development, Elbasani Street, Park Gate Building, entrance no.3, 10th floor, App. 71 / 73, PO BOX 2418/1. 1010 Tirana, Albania
The business proposals should be submitted in the Albanian language.
|Business Model Canvas||Download|